Built by the oldest Agricultural Society in Finland, founded in 1803. The building was completed in 1914, and was constructed according to the same plans that were designed for the second oldest church in Ilmajoki, built in 1638. The church building was formerly situated where the old grave yard behind the museum next to the bridge, serving now as a park. This old wooden church was demplished about the same time as the present church was built in 1766.
In the museum, you can get a feeling of life hundreds of years ago, of different phases of life: childrens’ toys, household items, tools, carriages, old clothing etc. The exhibits tell silently their ancient stories. The oldest artifacts date back to the stone age, 3000 years ago. The building consists af two floors, and the tower has two more floors.
The building in light yellow colours is an old cemetery chapel, built originally in 1861 on a location which now serves as Ilmajoki grave yard. On the bottom floor there was a mortuary (winter grave) where the deceased were kept over winter, because the ground was frozen and it was difficult to dig graves. The building was moved to the present site in 1939 after the new chapel was built and was ready for use.
The museum building rooms specimens from all three churches from the years 1516, 1638 and the present one from 1766. The oIdest exhibits are wooden statues af saints and a sand timer from the 1500’s. There are also icons, left by the Russian soldiers, who had to return to Russia after Finland’s independence.
The small red cottage facing the Church Museum is a Tradition house of the so called Aalto battery position. The logs af the house were cut and hewn at the Kannas area during the stalled hostilities in 1940-41. After the end of the war the logs were transported by train to Ilmajoki, to be used as a house af a war widow.
The building was transferred to its present site in 1983. The war tradition society has gathered maps, photos, hobby crafts etc. to be shown as exhibits from the war time. There are rifles, pistols and machine guns, used by war veterans when they fought for their country successfully to maintain it’s independence, although the aggressor was superior in numbers.